Warning: This post may contain controversial issues raised over a highly praised but deceased actor. Do not read if you think it may offend. 😛
I, like millions of others in the world, was anticipating The Dark Knight‘s release in cinemas. My reasoning was not however, as it may have been for countless others, because I wanted to see Heath Ledger in his final role. I grew up with the Tim Burton Batman films and later franchise, though Michael Keaton is still my Batman, and I don’t think anyone since has surpassed his brilliance. The secondary reason was because my husband wanted to see it, and we rarely get to the cinema these days, so I do like to see things we are both interested in seeing.
I’m not here really to post a review of the film, but to perhaps question all of the Oscar hype Heath Ledger is getting over this film. He did a brilliant job as the Joker, yes, but how much of that brilliance was imitating the Joker’s voice from previous incarnations? Because frankly I wasn’t able to look too far past the similarities between his portrayal and Jack Nicholson’s, voice wise.
In any case, since when does the super hero movie genre warrant an Oscar nomination for acting? If Heath Ledger is nominated for his portrayal as the Joker, how much of that is because he can’t possibly have another chance at winning an Oscar, now that he’s no longer with us?
I understand that I may come across as disliking Ledger, which is completely not the case. I’ve enjoyed his films since Two Hands and 10 Things I Hate About You (both of which I own on DVD). I am just questioning the motivation behind all this Oscar hype. But then again, can we even trust awards like that any more?
Latest posts by Dominica Malcolm (see all)
- Getting the Most Out of Improvaganza + Returning to Hawaii with My Show “So You Want a Job” in 2017 - October 18, 2017
- Finding the Balance Between Empowerment and Judgement: My Personal Struggle With Internalised Misogyny - September 12, 2017
- (Polyamorous) Romantic Relationships and Dating While Autistic - September 7, 2017
- Songs That Remind Me of Significant Others - September 6, 2017
- Understanding Autism in my Life - August 28, 2017