My laptop died on Tuesday, which has given me opportunity to act more like a house wife. I decided to make some muffins, but I improvised a lot from a different recipe I had, because I didn’t have all the ingredients.
As the muffins turned out really nice, I thought I’d share my recipe with the world.
1 cup plain flour
1 cup wholemeal plain flour
2 cups oats
1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit (sultanas, raisins, cherries, etc)
1/3 cup broken walnuts
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
125g unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3 large eggs, beaten
Preheat oven to 200oC. Grease muffin tray with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, fruit, walnuts, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, cream together the butter, brown sugar and honey until fluffy. Beat in the buttermilk until reasonably smooth (will still seem part liquid, part solid).
Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the creamed mixture and eggs. Mix until evenly moistened. The batter will be thick and slightly lumpy. Do not overmix.
Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it level with the rim of the cup.
Transfer the filled pan(s) to the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 180oC. Bake for approx 20 minutes until golden, dry and springy to touch. A toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin should come out clean.
Makes 14 muffins
Latest posts by Dominica Malcolm (see all)
- Attending the 15th Annual Seattle Festival of Improv Theater - March 3, 2017
- 128 Graphic Novels/Comic Strip Books in 2016 - January 6, 2017
- Commentary and Thoughts After Attending My First Supernatural Convention (Part 2) - December 27, 2016
- Commentary and Thoughts After Attending My First Supernatural Convention (Part 1) - December 6, 2016
- All the Fun at Improvaganza, the Hawaii Festival of Improv (2016) - September 27, 2016